16. In Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker, the nutcracker's
main enemy is:
a. A girl named Clara.
b. The King of Mice.
c. Drosselmeyer the Magician.
d. Dr. Almond
17. Good King Wenceslas was king of which country?
18. When was Christmas first celebrated?
a. The year after Jesus was crucified
b. Around 100 AD
c. In the 4th Century
19. Why was December 25th chosen as Christmas Day?
a. That's when Jesus was born
b. To compete with a pagan celebration
c. That's when Christmas trees are in season
d. That's when the Bible says to celebrate it
20. What country did poinsettias originally come from?
a. The U.S.
21. How did Xmas originate as an abbreviation for Christmas?
a. Atheists refused to accept "Christ" as part of the word
b. The early popes were lazy so they tended to shorten everything
c. The Greek word for Christ is Xristos
d. From Latin terminology for any holy day
22. How many reindeer does Santa Claus have?
a. Santa has eight reindeer.
b. Santa has nine reindeer.
c. Santa does not have reindeer. They are really caribou.
d. Santa has a whole herd of reindeer-- we only know about his
23. What comes after '8 maids a-milking' in the song 'The
12 Days of Christmas'?
a. 9 pipers piping
b. 9 lords a-leaping
c. 9 drummers drumming
d. 9 ladies dancing
24. When are the '12 Days of Christmas'?
a. The 12 days before Christmas: December 14 to December 25
b. The 12 days after Christmas: December 26 to January 6
c. The 12 days around Christmas: Christmas Eve to January 4
d. The 12 days beginning with the winter solstice: December
21 to January 1
25. Which of the following holidays DOES NOT occur in December?
c. Feast of St. Nicholas
d. Boxing Day
26. Santa's only female sleigh-pulling reindeer, Vixen,
has antlers. True or false?
a. False. Only the male reindeer have antlers.
b. True. Both male and female reindeer have antlers.
c. True. But they are really no bigger than slight bumps on
d. False. Some females have been known to have antlers, but
that is extremely rare.
27. How many sides does a snowflake have?
28. What is the most popular holiday plant decoration in
the United States?
a. Pine branches or evergreen boughs
29. In the movie 'Miracle on 34th Street', Kris Kringle is
hired to play Santa Claus in what large department store?
a. Marshall Field's
b. FAO Schwarz
30. Speaking of 'Good King Wenceslas'... he looked out 'on
the Feast of Stephen'. When is the 'Feast of Stephen'?
a. December 6
b. December 12
c. December 26
d. January 6